Argoyle and Ugoyle are a Pseudoroid duo based on the mythical shisa, a cross between dogs and lions. Argoyle is the one with an open mouth and big ears, while Ugoyle is the one with the closed mouth and a horn on his forehead. They have stocky purple bodies with large paws for arms, a pair of exhaust pipes around their necks and another for a tail, and wheels on their feet which complement their motorized look.
Armed with Dash Rollers on their feet, Argoyle and Ugoyle are high-speed masters of multi-directional assaults. They combine speed with teamwork to flank the opponent and attack from unexpected angles. They use spiked bombs to attack.
Argoyle is the vocal member of the duo, having a highly developed language circuit for quick instructions, while the supporting Ugoyle has a minimum language setting and usually merely grunts and agrees with Argoyle's statements.
Mega Man ZX Advent
Argoyle and Ugoyle appear in the Waterfall Ruins, where they intercept the Mega Man Biometal Model A who had arrived to investigate a computer facility used to hack into the Legion HQ database. The Shisaroids defend their post with their lives, but they are defeated and their DNA is copied by Model A's A-Trans.
The two are revived for the final battle in Ouroboros, where they acknowledge the Mega Man Model A's superiority as they are defeated once again. After Argoyle and Ugoyle are defeated in Ouroboros, Argoyle accepts defeat, while Ugoyle just grunts.
Power and Abilities
Argoyle and Ugoyle will corner the player from both sides of the field, and try to overwhelm the player with combined attacks. They generally rush the player with their Skate Dash or fling bombs in the enemy's direction. Argoyle has powerful arms used to throw while Ugoyle has powerful legs used to kick, and those are also their weak points.
As a copied form, these two work in a slightly different manner. The player controls Argoyle, who can throw bombs and dash for as long as there is room. The player can also summon Ugoyle as a ghost in a similar manner to Soul Body from Mega Man X4 to travel in front of Argoyle and kick enemies or bombs that Argoyle has thrown. This Ugoyle is not affected by terrain or obstacles and can retrieve certain out-of-reach items such as Secret Disks or Sub Tanks.
- Skate Dash (Roller Dash in Japan) - Argoyle and Ugoyle attempt to rush the player simultaneously with a continuous dash.
- Aiguille Globe (Boss only) - Argoyle and Ugoyle kick a bomb at each other a number of times in an arc before kicking it to the player.
- Hat Trick Blast (Boss only) - Argoyle and Ugoyle kick a bomb at each other forward three times before converting it into a triple shot.
- Dark Halo (Boss only) - Only used after one of the Shisaroids loses half of his energy. Argoyle and Ugoyle emanate an aura before jumping off-screen and descending slowly, passing a bomb at each other a few times before detonating it; the Shisaroids back off as the bomb's explosion launches energy blasts in eight directions.
- Ar-Throw (Standalone by Model A only) - Argoyle flings a bomb that bounces a few times before exploding. The A-Trans version of the bomb can be changed into a soccer ball upon acquiring the hidden Soccer Ball item in Oil Field 3.
- Ghost (Model A only) - Uses Biometal energy to summon an afterimage of Ugoyle, which can pass through obstacle to take items or attack enemies.
- U-Kick (Standalone by Model A only) - The Ugoyle image attacks with a kick.
- Rock Bomb ("Aiguille Globe Blast" in Japan, standalone by Model A only) - Use U-Kick on the bomb from Ar-Throw to increase its power.
Defeating Argoyle and Ugoyle under specific conditions will award the player with Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Obtaining all 24 medals in the game will unlock Model a.
- Gold - Finish off Argoyle and Ugoyle simultaneously with Buckfire's Double Tomahawks.
- Silver - Finish off Argoyle and Ugoyle simultaneously with Hedgeshock's Spark Ball.
- Bronze - Finish off Argoyle and Ugoyle simultaneously with Model A's Giga Crush.
|Argoyle defeated||Munen! (Such a shame!)||無念!||Uugh..|
|Hat Trick Blast||Sore! (Argoyle)
Hissatsu! (Ugoyle, Special Move!)
|それっ！ うぬっ! それっ！ 必殺！||Take that! (Argoyle)|
Take that! (Argoyle)
|Dark Halo||Kimeru! Fi! Fu! Myi! Deya! (We'll end this! Fi! Fu! Myi! Deya!)||決めるっ！ヒィ! フゥ! ミィ! でやぁっ！||Bombs away! One! Two! Three! HERE!|
- In Japanese mythology, the shisa are guardians commonly seen in pairs that combat evil spirits; one has an open mouth to ward off evil spirits and another has a closed mouth to protect the good spirits. This is mirrored by Argoyle and Ugoyle, who are willing to defend Master Albert's territory with their lives.
- Gender is variously assigned to the shisa. Some Okinawans believe the male has his mouth closed to keep bad out of the home, while the female has her mouth open to share goodness. Others believe the female has her mouth closed to "keep in the good", while the male has his mouth open to "scare away the bad". However, Argoyle and Ugoyle are both male.
- Argoyle and Ugoyle's names and secondary motifs may be derived from the twin deities Agyo and Ungyo, known together as Nio, the twin protectors of the Buddha. Their names also might have come from the word "gargoyle", stone carved into a shape of an animal that rests atop roofs.
- Argoyle & Ugoyle mark the only instance in the series to date in which two Pseudoroids are fought together. However, the Shisaroids were designed to work this way.
- All medal requirements for Argoyle and Ugoyle require the player to finish both Shisaroids at the same time.
- Argoyle's weakspot is his hands and Ugoyle's is his legs.
- Argoyle and Ugoyle mark the second instance in the franchise where a boss is fought at the very beginning of the stage, instead the middle or the end (the first being Hidden Phantom in Mega Man Zero).
|Mega Man ZX Advent|
|Buckfire the Gaxelleroid • Chronoforce the Xiphosuroid • Rospark the Floroid • Vulturon the Condoroid|
Queenbee the Hymenopteroid • Hedgeshock the Erinaceroid • Argoyle and Ugoyle the Shisaroids • Bifrost the Crocoroid
|Dogu the Giant • Atlas • Siarnaq • Aeolus • Thetis |
Vent • Aile • Prometheus • Pandora • Master Albert
|Database • Items • Game Script (Grey's story • Ashe's story)|