|For his Mega Man Maverick Hunter X incarnation, see Armored Armadillo/Maverick Hunter X.|
Armored Armadillo is a warrior ideally suited to fighting underground. Though he is a stoic soldier who never disobeys an order, he is loyal to a fault, continuing to obey Sigma's orders despite the fact that he became a Maverick and rebelled against humankind.
Armored Armadillo was the leader of the 8th Armored Unit from the Maverick Hunters. When Sigma began his rebellion, Armadillo followed him out of unquestioning loyalty. Sigma ordered him to capture a mine that was a prime source of raw materials needed to manufacture weapons, and X had to stop him.
After his defeat, Armadillo also attacked X in the third stage of Sigma's Hideout.
A digital version of Armored Armadillo appeared in the Mother Computer as an obstacle to X in Hard Mode. He is also featured in Mega Man Xtreme 2's Boss Attack mode, like the rest of the bosses from Xtreme.
Armored Armadillo usually begins the battle by encasing himself into a ball and rolling around the room, proving to be very difficult if the player is unprepared. However, these attacks are easily dodged had X acquired the Foot Parts from Dr. Light earlier. The other attack consists of firing small energy blasts from a laser hidden in his head. He can also use some of his armor to deflect normal shots and absorb energy from charged ones, resulting in him firing quick energy blasts in all directions. He is less likely to guard while shooting, making it the ideal time to attack if one is without his weakness.
One hit from the Electric Spark will make most of his armor pieces fall off, making him more vulnerable. While in this state, X can deal damage to Armadillo even when he is in rolling form. This is due to his armor being kept attached to his body by means of electromagnets.
- Guarding (ガード, Guard): Armored Armadillo braces himself to defend against attacks. If he is hit with a Charge Shot or one of Vile's Cannons while defending, he charges up briefly before releasing a screen of energy blasts in retaliation. Disabled by removing his armor.
- Tackle (タックル): Armored Armadillo tucks into a ball and bounces off the walls of the arena. If he still has his armor, he is invulnerable during the attack.
- Rapid-Fire Bullets (弾速射): Armored Armadillo fires a sequence of small blasts from a cannon in his forehead.
Mega Man X stats
Armored Armadillo (Armor Armarge)
Height: 194 cm (6.37 ft, mistakenly shown as 6.36 ft in-game)
Weight: 232 kg (512 lbs, mistakenly shown as 510 lbs in-game)
Attacks: Rolling Shield, Guarding
Rockman X manga
Armored Armadillo is the fourth Maverick that X fights in the Rockman X manga. He has the personality of a samurai, even using a sword, named Purple Garden (紫苑). He first appeared in the forest Sting Chameleon was in and had orders to destroy X, but disobeyed Sigma's orders so he could fight one-on-one against the Hunter. Angry, Sigma scarred his left eye, but decided to let him fight. When X defeated him, he used his sword on himself, as a device on him would make him explode if he betrays Sigma. Vile exploded the local area that Armadillo and his soldiers were, killing them all except for X. Vile talked with X before leaving, giving him the location of an armor upgrade.
Armored Armadillo is revived as "Armor Armarge HL", and attacks the Maverick Hunter base with three other Mavericks disguised as a recruit Hunter under the alias "Rot Armor" (ロート・アーマー). In his Hyper Limited form he has a predominantly red color scheme and wears a larger, heavier armor studded with spikes.
- In Mega Man X, although it's difficult to perform, it's possible to skip the re-fight with Armored Armadillo in Sigma Stage 3 by charging Shotgun Ice up and then using the ice sled to zip X into the boss door without hitting an invisible trigger that forces the camera to scroll all the way up. If done correctly, the fight won't be triggered and the opposite door will open as if he was defeated. However, jumping will still trigger the fight, and if X starts entering the next section after the fight begins in that case, Armored Armadillo's sprites will glitch.
- In Mega Man X, it is possible to hit Armadillo with the Electric Spark without making his armor pieces fall off. This can be done by hitting him right before he curls up into a ball, something easily achieved by releasing a charged shot the instant the fight begins.
- The beams Armored Armadillo fires in the original Mega Man X game have a remarkable similarity to the Hadouken upgrade, which is also in his stage as an easter egg when conditions are met.
- Armored Armadillo most closely resembles the screaming hairy armadillo, while his Maverick Hunter X redesign seems to take cues from the Doedicurus Clavicaudatus.
- Along with Launch Octopus, Toxic Seahorse and Shield Sheldon, this Maverick is misnamed in the Music Gallery in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection and 2. There he is "Armor" Armadillo.
- Another easter egg is during the first mine cart ride; one of the bats is actually a Batton from Mega Man 2, and it is guaranteed to drop a 1-Up.
|Mega Man X|
|List of Mavericks|
|Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Armored Armadillo • Launch Octopus |
Boomer Kuwanger • Sting Chameleon • Storm Eagle • Flame Mammoth
|Vile • Bospider • Rangda Bangda • D-Rex • Velguarder • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Shotgun Ice • Electric Spark • Rolling Shield • Homing Torpedo |
Boomerang Cutter • Chameleon Sting • Storm Tornado • Fire Wave
|Armor Parts • Mega Man X Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X enemies • Damage Data Chart • Script|
|Mega Man Xtreme|
|List of Mavericks|
|Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Storm Eagle • Flame Stag • Armored Armadillo • Morph Moth • Magna Centipede • Wheel Gator|
|Vile • Zain • Geemel • Bospider • Serges • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Shotgun Ice • Electric Spark • Storm Tornado • Speed Burner • Rolling Shield • Silk Shot • Magnet Mine • Spin Wheel |
Hadouken • Shoryuken
|Zero Scramble Programs|
|Dash • Rising • Earth Gaizer • Final|
|Highway Stage • Snowfield Stage • Power Plant Stage • Airport Stage • Volcanic Zone Stage • Gallery Stage • Scrap Plant Stage • Central Computer Stage • Dinosaur Tank Stage • Sigma Stage|
|Armor Parts • Damage Data Chart • Game Script|