|For his Mega Man Maverick Hunter X incarnation, see Boomerang Kuwanger/Maverick Hunter X.|
Boomer Kuwanger (ブーメル・クワンガー Būmeru Kuwangā) also known as Boomerang Kuwanger, is a boss in Mega Man X, a Reploid based on the stag beetle ("kuwagata" in Japanese). He is a former Maverick Hunter who joined Sigma's rebellion.
Boomer Kuwanger worked in the 17th Elite Unit under Sigma, in the same unit as his brother Gravity Beetle. He is a nihilist that doesn't agree or disagree with Sigma's motives, and joined the Maverick uprising simply because he thought "isn't this more interesting?"
After joining Sigma, Kuwanger took control of a tower that was supposed to be the symbol of a city, and turned it into an oppressive fortress. He sat plotting within, sneering at the despair in the city below until X came to stop him.
After his defeat, Kuwanger reappeared in Sigma's Hideout as the first of the Maverick boss rematches.
Boomer Kuwanger uses instantaneous movements and attacks by throwing his Boomerang Cutter or using it to grab his target above his head. If he grabs the player, he will damage them by throwing them into the ceiling. He is weak to Homing Torpedoes, as they lock on to his energy signature, and they can hunt him down even when he vanishes. However, if the player continuously shoots him with the X-Buster, Boomer Kuwanger will not have a chance to hit with his Boomerang Cutter or move close to the player.
- Boomerang Cutter (ブーメランカッター) - Boomer Kuwanger throws the cutter from his head, which curves towards the player before returning to his head.
- Dash Attack (ダッシュ攻擊) - Boomer Kuwanger dashes towards the player at high speeds.
- Dead Lift (つかみ投げ, "Grab and Throw") - Boomer Kuwanger lunges at the player with his cutter; if the attack connects, he throws them into the ceiling for large damage.
Mega Man X stats
Height: 242 cm (7.94 ft, mistakenly shown as 7.93 ft in-game)
Weight: 94 kg (207 lbs, mistakenly shown as 206 lbs in-game)
Attacks: Boomerang Cutter, Dead Lift
- Boomer Kuwanger reappears in the remake Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, this time renamed Boomerang Kuwanger.
- Boomer Kuwanger appeared as an event boss in Mega Man X DiVE.
- Boomer Kuwanger appeared as an unit card in TEPPEN.
Boomer Kuwanger is the last of the eight Mavericks that X fights in the Rockman X manga. X was searching for Zero in an aerial vehicle when a giant tower appeared from the ground and wiped out the city around it in one shot, and was charging in preparation for an even greater one. After entering, he finds Boomer Kuwanger at the top of the tower. Kuwanger joined Sigma because it is more fun than his days as a Hunter, and he moves so fast that X can't see him. His Boomerang Cutter is sharp enough to cut X's armor, damaging his X-Buster. At a disadvantage, X tries to shoot in all directions to hit him, making Kuwanger worried and slow down for a short time when he hit a part of the ceiling. Due to this and Kuwanger saying that he was "reborn", X shot at the ceiling (also destroying Kuwanger's right leg) and discovered that he moved his mind to the tower, allowing him to surpass his physical limits. His mind was protected by a forcefield that could not be destroyed even by X's charge shot. When the charge of the tower completed, X saw an energy line and attached it to his buster, giving him enough energy to destroy almost half of the tower with one shot, destroying Boomer Kuwanger. X's buster became useless after this.
In the Rockman X2 manga, Boomer Kuwanger is one of the zombies that appear in Morph Moth's illusion.
Boomer Kuwanger is later revived by his brother Gravity Beetle in the Rockman X3 manga. He now only speaks in katakana and the lower half of his body is replaced by a machine. Gravity Beetle captures X and Zero and he tries to transfer Boomer Kuwanger's program into Zero's body. X fights against them to save Zero, and uses a Gravity Well fired by Gravity Beetle into his arm to destroy Boomer Kuwanger. The Gravity Well flies from his arm to the sky and transforms into a giant black hole with an image of Boomer Kuwanger's head inside. Like his previous fight against Boomer Kuwanger, X destroys the black hole by connecting cables of the Big Beetle transport into his buster to fire a powerful charge shot.
Boomer Kuwanger is revived by Dr. Doppler by infusing the Limited on his body, turning him into the Limit Reploid Boomer Kuwanger L. As a Limit Reploid, his main colors are now green and blue, with red, black and blue details. His abilities improved and he has a blade on each arm. X destroyed him with Homing Torpedo, and Curtiss took the Limited from Kuwanger's wreckage.
Mega Man (Archie Comics)
Boomer Kuwanger is seen among Sigma's group of Hunters in issue #35 of the Mega Man comic. Following his defeat in Mega Man X, he was recreated by Sigma as part of an army that he intended to use to plant Unity Engines on various worlds. After participating in an attack on the Sky Patrol, during which he attacked Sally Acorn and Antoine D'Coolette, he departed with the majority of his comrades through Genesis Portals to begin the invasion.
- The word "kuwanger" comes from the word "kuwagata (クワガタ)" which is Japanese for "stag beetle."
- He was the only one of the eight Mavericks from Mega Man X that wasn't renamed in the English version, but he was renamed "Boomerang Kuwanger" in the remake Mega Man Maverick Hunter X.
- Boomer Kuwanger is one of the only two Mavericks known to have a brother, Gravity Beetle.
- Both he and Gravity Beetle represent beetles: Boomer Kuwanger himself as a stag beetle, and Gravity Beetle as a rhinoceros beetle.
- Boomer Kuwanger and Sting Chameleon are the only two Mavericks from the first Mega Man X to not appear in the Mega Man Xtreme games.
- Boomer Kuwanger's stage theme sounds similar to Tomahawk Man's stage theme from Mega Man 6, possibly due to both being composed by Yuko Takehara.
- Mega Man Maverick Hunter X manual and Mega Man X DiVE event stage
- MM25 Mega Man & Mega Man X Official Complete Works
|Mega Man X|
|List of Mavericks|
|Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Armored Armadillo • Launch Octopus |
Boomer Kuwanger • Sting Chameleon • Storm Eagle • Flame Mammoth
|Vile • Bospider • Rangda Bangda • D-Rex • Velguarder • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Shotgun Ice • Electric Spark • Rolling Shield • Homing Torpedo |
Boomerang Cutter • Chameleon Sting • Storm Tornado • Fire Wave
|Armor Parts • Mega Man X Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X enemies • Damage Data Chart • Script|