- "No! How can this great power be generated from within an ancient machine!? Well done X. The victory is yours."
- ―Byte to X if he is defeated with his weaknesses, Mega Man X3
Byte is a giant Reploid, being nearly twice as tall as his partner Bit. His armor is mostly red and orange in color, though his head is colored black and grey. He has a large chin and a mohawk-like structure with tubes protruding out of it. Circles with horizontal notches, similar to flat-head screws, adorn his knees, shoulders, and feet. He also possesses a notable belly, and has a large kourin ring on his back similar to a halo.
Byte is a noble and sensible individual. Like Bit, his loyalty to Dr. Doppler is unquestionable, and he follows orders without hesitation. Unlike his partner, however, he treats X with a great deal of respect, calmly introducing himself and even congratulating X after his own defeat. In the Japanese version, he claims that he is destined to fight X.
Byte and his partner, Bit, were both created by Dr. Doppler to protect Dopple Town as part of the Nightmare Police. His technical specifications were based on the most advanced Reploids of the time, with power said to potentially rival that of Sigma himself. The two served dutifully, until they joined the riots led by their creator along with the rest of the supposedly Sigma Virus-vaccinated Reploids.
After X and Zero defeat the second of the eight Maverick bosses in Dopple Town, Dr. Doppler orders the Nightmare Police to capture X for him, alive if possible. Byte will then begin to randomly appear as a sub-boss in the sixth, seventh, or eighth Maverick stages X visits until he is defeated. If he is not defeated by using his weaknesses, he merely retreats, and X will have to face him and Bit again in the first Doppler stage in their combined form, Godkarmachine O Inary. If Byte is finished off with Tornado Fang or Ray Splasher, he will be destroyed and won't reappear later. If only Byte or Bit survive, they will still be able to change into Godkarmachine O Inary without the other's presence. Regardless, Byte is destroyed.
Mega Man X3
Byte is the heavier of the Nightmare Police, never leaving the ground in battle. His attack pattern is simple: attach a gravity mine to the wall, dash in for a punch combo, and repeat. Though his mines disrupt the player's wall kicks, their repelling force can be used to dash jump off the wall and over Byte's dash. He is weak to Tornado Fang and Ray Splasher, both of which outright destroy him if used for the finishing blow.
|Byte rushes towards the player with a shoulder tackle. On hit, his tackle launches them upwards into the ceiling, then a second punch knocks them into the opposite wall. If he misses, Byte slams into the wall instead.|
|Gravity Bullet (重力弾)|
|Byte shoots a mine onto the opposite wall, which repels the player away from the wall and towards Byte. His shoulder dash destroys the mine.|
Mega Man X DiVE
In Mega Man X DiVE, Byte has an additional attack where he attempts to belly-flop his opponent. In his second boss battle, he is equipped with a Gravity Gear that allows him to summon a black hole similar to Gravity Beetle's charged Gravity Well, distorting gravity to make the Player's jumps futile.
- Byte is one of the opponents from Rockman X3 Buster Battle.
- Byte appeared in Battle Memory from Rockman Xover.
- Byte appears alongside Bit in the TEPPEN card Tag Team.
- Byte would have appeared as a boss in the canceled Rockman Online.
Mega Man X DiVE
Byte appears as a boss in the eleventh and fifteenth story stages. The first appearance is similar to his Mega Man X3 appearance, with the addition of Byte having a belly-flop attack. The second encounter, named Byte (Gravity Gear), has the ability to summon a black hole. Both versions also appeared in other modes, and he has a Valentine's Day event version named Byte VD.
Rockman X3 manga
Bit and Byte are the Nightmare Police created by Doppler. Their bodies are made of several small worms made of chips that can turn Reploids into Mavericks. They attack the Maverick Hunter's base and fight against Zero, Blast Hornet, Blizzard Buffalo, Tunnel Rhino and Neon Tiger, having advantage in the battle despite being outnumbered. After X's recovery, he goes to the battle and destroys Bit's shield and arm with one charged shot. They decide to retreat after this.
After the defeat of the eight Maverick bosses, they make an announcement on Christmas Eve to challenge X and Zero. Bit and Byte manage to defeat them with ease, capturing and locking them into a powerful drilling machine that would kill them, showing it on a screen in Doppler Town. Dr. Cain and Marty went to the rescue, Cain and Marty's pirates distracting Byte and several Mavericks while Marty goes save X and Zero with four power up chips. After obtaining the chips, X gained a powerful armor and fires at Bit, causing high damage to him and destroying several Mavericks that where at distance with Byte. Seeing this, Byte returned to help Bit and Doppler appears with a dragon made of his chip worms. Byte asks Doppler to help Bit, but he makes his dragon attack with a powerful blast in the area X and the others where, the attack hitting Bit, Byte and Zero, who didn't have time to avoid it. Damaged, Byte asks Doppler to give them a chance to defeat X, and he drops several worms to combine them into Godkarmachine O Inary. They became more powerful in this form, but none of their attacks works on X. X took down both Godkarmachine O Inary and Dr. Doppler's dragon with one shot. As a last attempt to defeat X, their remains merged into a giant two-headed multi-limbed worm-like monster, but it collapsed before it could attack because of the damage they had received.
Quotes from Mega Man X3
- "Affirmative, Dr. Doppler!"
- "Nice to meet you, X. I am Byte. I've been programmed to exterminate you!"
- "I didn't expect you had this power... I've lost this time but... I'll crush you next time!!"
- "No! How can this great power can be generated from within such an ancient machine!? Well done X. The victory is yours." (Death; defeated with weakness.)
- "Dr. Doppler modified us after our first battle against you." (Doppler's Lab with Bit.)
- "Take a look at these new upgrades!" (Together with Bit, before Godkarmachine O Inary transformation.)
- "X, I've been waiting for you. It was an impressive victory over Bit. Unfortunately, it was your last!!" (Doppler's Lab alone.)
- The Western names of the Nightmare Police members come from Bit and Byte, two units of digital information in computing and telecommunications. Byte's Japanese name is derived from the mandala, a concentric diagram having spiritual and ritual significance in both Buddhism and Hinduism.
- Byte's appearance is seemingly based on the Nio.
- How he is weak against the Ray Splasher may refer to differing tales of how the Nio came to be in the service of Buddha; while some tales hold more benevolent origins, such as the "King's Second Wife" and being instead the singular Vajrapani, one tale held that the Nio were originally a duo of thieves who managed to rob and fight off any they came across, until they were brought to penance and redemption upon encountering the compassion of Buddha.
- The Mega Man Network web archive: Rockman X3 Collected Sourcebook Information
- "The other member of the elite two-Reploid Nightmare Police unit, Byte stood as a virtual god amongst Reploids, with power said to potentially rival that of Sigma himself." - Byte, Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter's Field Guide, 2021. p. 26
- Boss File: Mandarela BB, Compendium of Rockman X. p. 53.
|Mega Man X3|
|Toxic Seahorse • Tunnel Rhino • Volt Catfish • Crush Crawfish • Neon Tiger • Gravity Beetle • Blast Hornet • Blizzard Buffalo|
|Maoh the Giant • Vile MK-II • Bit • Byte • Godkarmachine O Inary • Press Disposer • Volt Kurageil • Dr. Doppler • Sigma|
|X's Special Weapons|
|Acid Burst • Tornado Fang • Triad Thunder • Spinning Blade • Ray Splasher • Gravity Well • Parasitic Bomb • Frost Shield|
- Other -
|Hunter Base • Giant Dam Stage • Quarry Stage • Power Control Center Stage • Shipyard Stage • Safari Park Stage • Airborne Aircraft Carrier Stage • Weapons Factory Stage • Frozen Town Stage • Vile Stage • Dr. Doppler's Laboratory|
|Armor Parts • Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X3 enemies • Damage Data Chart • Game Script|