Frost Walrus, known as Frost Kibatodos (フロスト・キバトドス Furosuto Kibatodosu) in Japan, is a large walrus-based (sealion-based in the Japanese version) Reploid and one of the Maverick bosses in Mega Man X4.
Frost Walrus was a short-tempered, rowdy Reploid whose destructive behavior got him marked for disposal as a Maverick. However, he was saved when General gave him a chance to join the Repliforce. When the Great Repliforce War started, Walrus was impressed as it was a perfect excuse for him to riot as much as he liked. Walrus was stationed at Repliforce's base in a snowy region and put in charge of guarding their secret weapon under construction.
Power & Abilities
Frost Walrus has great physical strength and is able to jump pretty high despite his size.
- Body Blow - Frost Walrus slides on the floor to crush enemies with his large body.
- Ice Blade - Frost Walrus either launches ice blades directly from his shoulders or uses his cold breath to create an ice block, then shatters it to release ice blades. The ice blades stay on surfaces.
- Frost Tower - Frost Walrus creates an ice block and shatters it, sending spiked ice pieces across the room. The ice stays on surfaces.
In battle, Frost Walrus will constantly walk towards the player and attempt to crush them by sliding on the floor. After sliding, Walrus will also launch ice blades that stay on surfaces. Once his health is reduced to half, Walrus will gain a new attack where he creates a large ice block and shatters it, causing spiked ice pieces to spread everywhere. Like other ice-based Mavericks, Walrus is weak to flame-based attacks; X and Zero can respectively use Rising Fire and Ryuenjin at close range to set Walrus on fire, dealing heavy damage in process.
Most bosses show the ability that the player will gain during the battle. For X, his Frost Tower is based on Walrus creating a large icicle that will explode into several shuriken-shaped pieces. Zero's Hyouretsuzan is based after Walrus' raining icicles.
When Playing as X
Frost Walrus: They sent a kid like you after me? I promise to end this quickly...
When Playing as Zero
Frost Walrus: What's that blonde kid up to?! I don't have time for you junior!
Zero: Hey! Shut up and fight me already!
Frost Walrus: Oh... That does it, you're goin' down!
Frost Walrus had three pre-battle quotes in the original Japanese version that were cut from the English one. They are as follows:
|Konjō tataki naoshite yaru ze!||I'll beat that confidence outta you!||Pre-battle line|
|Buttsubushite yaru! Kakugo-shina!||I'll crush you! Prepare yourself!||Pre-battle line|
|Kōri no beddo de o nen'ne-shina!||Go to sleep in a bed of ice!||Pre-battle line|
In the Rockman X4 manga, Frost Walrus appears as a member of the Repliforce with the same backstory as the game: he is a Reploid with a volatile temperament whose penchant for havoc and destruction led to the authorities to call for his termination as a Maverick. However, the General saved him by inviting him to join the Repliforce, sparing him from the fate of being killed. He is visited in the Repliforce snow base by the Colonel, who berates him for causing unnecessary riots that are unhelpful to the Repliforce's plans. During one such incident, he killed an entire squadron of Maverick Hunters and kept their bodies frozen in ice as part of a collection of his victims. Colonel informs him he will report his behavior to the General, and that he should cease such wanton destruction in the future. In a fit of anger, he releases dozens of Reploid prisoners and tells them to run as fast as they can, all so he can hunt them down and later kill all of them for sport, save one, who was saved by X and Blizzard Buffalo. Frost Walrus proves to be more than a match for the two Hunters, and quickly overwhelms X, gaining the upper hand in the battle leaving the Maverick Hunter so heavily damaged that he falls unconscious. Blizzard Buffalo then steps in, but upon awakening X discovers him dead, impaled by a large icicle. Enraged and grief-stricken, X rushes to Walrus's base and confronts him in a modified Eagle Ride Armor, where he enrages Walrus by destroying his collection of Reploid victims encased in ice. Even though Frost Walrus quickly destroyed the armor with a Frost Tower, X still manages to heavily damage him by setting him ablaze with the Ride Armor's damaged fuel tank. But, despite all this, Frost Walrus again gains the upper hand and as he attempts to kill X, he is brutally shot down by General as a punishment for his previous misconduct and to save X's life.
Frost Walrus later appeared in Archie Comics' Worlds Unite crossover between its Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, and Sonic Boom lines, which also guest-starred the Mega Man X series and other Sega and Capcom franchises. He was revived by Sigma and employed as part of an army to attack various worlds.
- In the Rockman X4 manga, Walrus had the unusual habit of consuming large amounts of vanilla ice cream, enjoying the flavor. This is the second time the fourth game's manga contradicted Vile's previous statement in the first game's manga about Reploids being unable to discern flavor like humans can, although this may be an additional upgrade over the course of time.
- Blizzard Buffalo and Chill Penguin make cameo appearances in his stage, frozen in ice. Blizzard Buffalo is at the beginning of the level, and Chill Penguin is in the Eyezard's room.
- His Japanese name is derived from "kiba todo", meaning "fanged steller sea lion".
- He is one of the two Mavericks that Zero tells to "shut up and fight", with the other being Metal Shark Player from Mega Man X6. This is surprising, due to the fact that he tries to persuade the other members of Repliforce to stop the coup. It's possible, though, that Walrus's personality and his "blonde kid" and "junior" insults might have made Zero reconsider trying to reason with him.
- He is the first Maverick in the Mega Man X series to have two theme songs, and the only one who has two theme songs in Mega Man X4.
- To some degree, Frost Walrus is the opposite of Blizzard Buffalo. He was a violent Maverick even before the Repliforce wars, as well as the only Repliforce member to genuinely be Maverick during the same event, while Blizzard Buffalo, even after being infected with the Maverick Virus, was a pacifist and was the only one of the infected Mavericks to technically not be a Maverick. This comparison was even highlighted in the Rockman X4 manga adaptation.
- Frost Walrus can also be considered to be the Mega Man X counterpart of Frost Man. They both have the word Frost in their names, are ice themed, are large and brutish, and reward the player with a weapon that generates powerful ice shards when defeated.
- Snow Base - His stage in Mega Man X4.
|Mega Man X4|
|List of Mavericks|
|Web Spider • Split Mushroom • Cyber Peacock • Storm Owl • Magma Dragoon • Frost Walrus • Jet Stingray • Slash Beast|
|Eregion • Colonel • Double • Iris • General • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Lightning Web • Soul Body • Aiming Laser • Double Cyclone • Rising Fire • Frost Tower • Ground Hunter • Twin Slasher|
|Zero's Special Techniques|
|Raijingeki • Kūenbu • Kūenzan • Rakuhouha • Tenkūha • Ryūenjin • Hyouretsuzan • Hienkyaku • Shippūga|
| - Mega Man X -|
Fourth Armor • Ultimate Armor
- Zero -
| Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Zero) |
Mega Man X4 Script (X's story) • Mega Man X4 Script (Zero's story)