Hornet Man (ホーネットマン Hōnettoman) is a Robot Master from Mega Man 9 modeled after a hornet and a honeycomb that Dr. Light created to manage a flower park. It was his job to pollinate the flowers using his vast knowledge of flowers from around the world, and he loves gardening. He attacks by releasing robot hornets from the honeycomb in his chest.
Video game appearances
Hornet Man is one of the eight Robot Masters whose period of use had expired and was scheduled to be scrapped. Dr. Wily pretended to be concerned by offering to repair them, reprogramming the tricked robots to help him conquer the world.
He walks to one side of the arena, flies up and shoots three Hornet Chasers, which follow the player; he then drops to the floor, runs to the other side, and repeats.
His weakness is the Magma Bazooka. Its diagonal fire blasts will destroy all the bees when the center shot hits the center Hornet Chaser. When charged, it will also blast through them toward Hornet Man. Another viable weapon is the Black Hole Bomb which, when positioned properly, will suck in all three Hornet Chasers as they move towards Mega Man, and will then damage Hornet Man as he runs through it to the other side of the room.
In the end credits picture, he is seen watering the flowers in his garden with Beat, having been rebuilt after the events of the game.
Damage Data Chart
Displays the amount of damage in units that Hornet Man will receive from each Special Weapon in Mega Man 9.
|Mega Man 9|
|Mega Buster||Proto Buster||Concrete Shot||Tornado Blow||Laser Trident||Plug Ball||Jewel Satellite||Hornet Chaser||Magma Bazooka||Black Hole Bomb|
- *For Proto Buster and Magma Bazooka, the first digit is the damage done when the weapon is fired normally; the second digit is damage done when the weapon is charged up.
Hornet Man's stage consists of two main gimmicks :
- Bokazurah Block Challeges
- Shooting unfolding platforms over spike pits
- Sub-boss: Hanabiran
- Big Stomper
- Flower Presenter
- Bombomboy (Superhero Mode)
Appearance in other media
- "You can call this 'senseless violence,' it doesn't sting."
- —Hornet Man, Mega Man Megamix (translated)
- Mega Man 9's producer Hironobu Takeshita, revealed that early in the game's development, Hornet Man was originally intended to be a female robot named "Honey Woman" (ハニーウーマン). But, when Keiji Inafune presented his idea of placing a female robot in the ocean as a mermaid (thus creating Splash Woman), Hornet Man's design went through many revisions, including being changed to a male. More earlier artworks of Hornet Man show a slimmer male robot with wings, antennae, and a stinger-like buster on his right arm. This design was called Sting Man (スティングマン).
- The name Hornet Man was formerly used for a boss submission for Mega Man 2.
- In the credits of Mega Man 9, he is watering a flower field with a few bees and Beat.
- GameSpot (Staff). Mega Man 9 Special Stage Q&A. Oct 16, 2008. Retreived September 21, 2011.