- "I am an artist, you see, X. An artist of underwater combat! But no one has recognized that fact. Not until now."
- ―Launch Octopus, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
MILITARY GENERAL OF THE DEEP
Maverick Hunter formerly of the 6th Armada. With the plenty of firepower and military knowledge to match, this intellectual uses brain over brawn to outwit Mavericks. Seeking to achieve beauty in combat and strategy, he gains the ultimate pleasure from fighting elegantly and gracefully. Having taken over the ocean cities, he is planning to cut off all shipping routes.
Fires a Torpedo capable of tracking enemies. As it picks up speed, it homes in on closest enemy and pursues it.
Launch Octopus was a Maverick Hunter who was part of the 6th Armada. Sigma swayed him to join the rebellion via flattery, putting him in charge of an ocean base to cut off trade routes between cities.
When confronted by X, Launch Octopus told off the Maverick Hunter that he only takes orders from Sigma, after the former Maverick Hunter commander has recognized Launch Octopus's "artistic" fighting style and vowed for the world to recognize it as well, while being offended by X calling him a "Maverick" before the two battle, only for X to come victorious. When infiltrating Sigma's headquarters, a revived but monotonic-speaking Launch Octopus attacked X, revealing that Sigma had reconstructed his body (and the other seven Maverick lieutenants as well) with a rudimentary AI.
When meeting with Vile, Launch Octopus claimed to have expected Vile's betrayal and complimented his ambition. Vile vaguely confirmed his suspicion and shrugged off the compliment before their battle.
- Homing Torpedo - Launch Octopus two waves of three Homing Torpedoes from his shoulders (each torpedo is fired at different angles), either while standing still or jumping towards the player.
- Whirpool - Launch Octopus will spin and create a whirlpool, pulling the player in his direction. If he succeeds, he will catch the player and start draining their energy until he manages to break free.
- Piranha - Launch Octopus fires piranha-shaped projectiles from his tentacles.
If the player uses the Boomerang Cutter or any of Vile's cutter weapons against Launch Octopus three times, he loses his tentacles, and thus cannot use the Piranha or Whirlpool. His main weakness is the Rolling Shield, Deadstar Hug and Stubborn Crawler. As such, Launch Octopus cannot grab the player if they are equipped with a fully charged Rolling Shield and the shield also blocks all of Launch Octopus's ranged projectile attacks. In Hard difficulty, Launch Octopus does not have any new attacks though he tends to use the Whirlpool attack more frequently compared to Normal difficulty.
X: Your antics stop here, Launch Octopus! Launch Octopus: I only take orders from Sigma. There's no way I'll let you boss me around! X: Face it... You've gone Maverick! Launch Octopus: Maverick? How dare you call my artistic battle style by that name!
X: Launch Octopus... How could you do something like this? Launch Octopus: I am an artist, you see, X. An artist of underwater combat! But no one has recognized that fact. Not until now. X: But Sigma recognizes that? Launch Octopus: That's right. And now I'm fighting to create an entire world that does, too! This is a very important battle for me.
X: Launch Octopus!!? Launch Octopus: I am Launch Octopus! I´m under orders to deal with any intruders. X: Sigma must have brought his body back to life!! Launch Octopus: I have been ordered to fight.
Launch Octopus: Well, well, well... Look what the catfish dragged in. You plan on betraying Sigma, do you? Vile: I'll tell you one thing... I don't like working for others. Launch Octopus: A tough guy, hm? Ha ha ha! You're not half bad. I like you. Vile: I don't care if a pitiful fool like you likes me or not!
- "Here we go!" - Pre-battle.
- "I'll show you how an artist fights!" - Pre-battle.
- "Here it comes!" - Launch Octopus firing his torpedoes while jumping towards the player.
- "Over here!" - Launch Octopus using his Whirlpool attack.
- "I've got you!" - Launch Octopus catching the player with his Whirlpool attack.
- "Try this on for size!" - Launch Octopus firing his torpedoes while standing still.
- "But my explosion is beautiful..." - Defeating Launch Octopus.
- Launch Octopus is the only Maverick with speaking lines when he is refought in the Sigma Palace, but only when playing as X.
- His default personality depicts him as having flamboyant and slightly effeminate mannerisms.
- He has a slightly different motive in Maverick Hunter X for joining Sigma's rebellion compared to in the original game. Originally, he joined as an excuse to embrace his true misanthropic views, while in the remake, he joined simply to allow himself to embrace his more artistic form of combat without even hinting at misanthropy.
|Mega Man Maverick Hunter X|
|Mega Man X • Vile|
|Zero • Navigator • Dr. Cain|
|List of Mavericks|
|Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Armored Armadillo • Launch Octopus |
Boomerang Kuwanger • Sting Chameleon • Storm Eagle • Flame Mammoth
|Vile • Bosspider • Rangda Bangda • D-Rex • Velguarder • Sigma |
X • X and Zero
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Shotgun Ice • Electric Spark • Rolling Shield • Homing Torpedo |
Boomerang Cutter • Chameleon Sting • Storm Tornado • Fire Wave
Vulcans • Missiles • Rocket Punches
Cannons • Lasers • Cutters
Napalms • Balls • Flamethrowers
|Armors and Upgrades|
|- Mega Man X -|
Frozen Castle • Speed Devil
|Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Vile) |
Script (X's story) • Script (Vile's story) • The Day of Σ (Script)