Overdrive Ostrich, known in Japan as Sonic Ostreague (ソニック・オストリーグ Sonikku Osutorīgu), is an ostrich-type Reploid in Mega Man X2. Overdrive Ostrich was once a Maverick Hunter of the 7th Airborne Unit, but retired after an accident that cost him the ability to fly. Sigma later sought to recruit him to his Maverick army, seeing use for his superior speed. Overdrive Ostrich, sensing appreciation for his abilities, pledged his loyalty to Sigma and was stationed at an abandoned missile base, charged with the task of launching the one remaining missile stored there at the Hunter Base. Before confronting Overdrive Ostrich, X manages to destroy this missile just as it launches.
He is one of the few Mavericks with an outdoor battle arena, which may be the largest in any Mega Man game to date. Mega Man Zero sports a close-to-identical battle arena for the battle against Fefnir. His most common attack is a charging run, which is easily dodged by jumping over him. He will also perform another style of run, in which he will jump and kick across the screen with just enough room to run or dash under. Overdrive tends to always use his Sonic Slicer in its charged state, by jumping high and firing six energy boomerangs that rain down on the battlefield. The one unique attack that he will perform, that usually occurs when X puts a lot of distance between him and Ostrich, involves him running offscreen out into the desert (background) and then jumping back to the foreground to try and land on X. This can be avoided by continuously moving. He is weak to Crystal Hunter, which will both damage and freeze him, but once he thaws he will immediately counter with Sonic Slicer. It is possible to cancel his counter by just freezing him again just as he thaws (trapping him in a continuous loop), but your timing must be spot on. He is also vulnerable to Silk Shot.
Powers and abilities
- Sonic Slicer (Horizontal) (ソニックスワイサー（橫）) - Similar to the weapon X gains after defeating him. Overdrive Ostrich shoots a Sonic Slicer either downwards or upwards at X.
- Sonic Slicer (Overhead) (ソニックスワイサー（頭上）) - Overdrive Ostrich jumps up and hovers in mid-air for a moment, releasing several Sonic Slicer beams into the air, which later fall down from the sky. This attack is the same as the charged up version when X gains his weapon.
- Charge (突進) - Overdrive Ostrich charges towards X attempting to run over him. When caught, X would be knocked back a distance. X can avoid this attack by jumping over him.
- Step (ステップ) - Similar to charge, Overdrive Ostrich would skip towards X in a jumping fashion attempting to run over him. When caught, X would be knocked back a distance. This is more difficult to dodge than Charge, as depending of his position, X must either jump over him or dash below him at the right time.
- High Jump (ハイジャンプ) - When Overdrive Ostrich is off the screen for a certain amount of time, he will appear in the distant background running in a parallel direction to X, just before jumping high in the air before trying to land on X. He will jump when X passes by him in the background, though he will land in the current spot X was in.
- Overdrive Ostrich is a boss from Rockman X DiVE.
- Overdrive Ostrich appeared in Battle Memory from Rockman Xover.
- Overdrive Ostrich appeared as an unit card in TEPPEN. He also appeared in the art from other cards.
Mega Man X2 stats
- Height: 255 cm (8'4")
- Weight: 152 kg (335 lbs)
- Power: 3800rp
- Speed: 9900rp
Displays the amount of damage in units that Overdrive Ostrich will receive from each Special Weapon in Mega Man X2.
|X-Buster||Sonic Slicer||Strike Chain||Spin Wheel||Bubble Splash||Speed Burner||Silk Shot||Magnet Mine||Crystal Hunter||Giga Crash||Shouryuken|
- For X-Buster, the four damage values are listed according to how long the weapon is charged. Note however that the forth number is damage done with the second shot when the X-Buster is charged all the way.
- For Silk Shot, the first set of numbers is damage dealt to them in their own stage; second set is damage dealt in the X-Hunters' fortress.
- For Giga Crash, value listed is the total amount of damage done.
- For Shouryuken, using this will generally defeat this boss in one hit, however it does not inflict a set amount of damage; the amount of damage done is dependent on how close X is to the boss when preforming it.
Rockman X2 manga
Overdrive Ostrich appears in the Rockman X2 manga, where his backstory is the same, with some differences. For instance, he was friends with Storm Eagle. Sigma retrives Eagle's buster and shows it to him, saying his dying wish was to have Ostrich join the Mavericks and X-Hunters. Ostrich, believing Sigma's version of events, agrees and takes his leave while Sigma smahes Storm Eagle's buster with sadistic glee. While fighting X, Ostrich realizes his mistake and sacrificies himself to stop a missile.
Overdrive Ostrich was revived by the Limited as Sonic Ostreague L, having his mobility increased and the power of his Sonic Slicer doubled. He is the first Limit Reploid fought by X when he went to investigate a city where all Reploids became Mavericks, and X defeats him with Crystal Hunter.
- Overdrive Ostrich is the first boss in the series to use an attack that involves use of the background, much like Bowser in Super Mario World. In addition, his arena is the first not to have any sort of walls or edges.
- While many people think the arena loops, it actually doesn't. If you move far enough to the right or left, you'll reach an invisible wall that you can't wall jump up.
- Overdrive Ostrich is also the only boss in the series to receive a shift in his weakness order: as of Mega Man X2, the Sonic Slicer was used to defeat Wire Sponge and his Strike Chain. In Mega Man Xtreme 2, however, it is now the reverse, which is rather ironic.
- In the Rockman X manga by Yoshihiro Iwamoto, Overdrive Ostrich served directly under the command of Storm Eagle prior to Sigma's first revolt, where he experienced his accident that cost him his ability to fly. He only joined the X-Hunters after being presented with the remains of Eagle's Storm Tornado cannon, seeking to avenge his ex-commander. Despite his revolt, he eventually redeemed himself by sacrificing himself to stop a missile launch, after seeing Eagle's courage within X.
- Overdrive Ostrich's intro pose is very similar to one of T. Hawk's win poses from Capcom's Super Street Fighter 2.
|Mega Man X2|
|List of Mavericks|
|Overdrive Ostrich • Wire Sponge • Wheel Gator • Bubble Crab • Flame Stag • Morph Moth • Magna Centipede • Crystal Snail|
|Gigantic Mechaniloid CF-0 • Violen • Serges • Agile • Zero • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Sonic Slicer • Strike Chain • Spin Wheel • Bubble Splash • Speed Burner • Silk Shot • Magnet Mine • Crystal Hunter |
- Other -
Giga Crush • Shoryuken
|Armor Parts • Damage Data Chart • Mega Man X2 Script|
|Mega Man Xtreme 2|
|Mega Man X • Zero|
|List of Mavericks|
|Neon Tiger • Volt Catfish • Launch Octopus • Flame Mammoth • Wire Sponge • Overdrive Ostrich • Blast Hornet • Tunnel Rhino|
|Skullhead • Velguarder • Isaz and Sowilo • Berkana • Gareth • Sigma|
- Boss Attack -
Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Storm Eagle • Flame Stag • Armored Armadillo • Morph Moth • Magna Centipede • Wheel Gator
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Ray Claw • Tri-Thunder • Marine Tornado • Fire Wave • Strike Chain • Sonic Slicer • Bomb Bee • Tornado Fang|
Giga Crash • Shotokan
|Zero's Special Moves|
|Rising • Tri-Thunder • Fish Fang • Fire Wave • Lightning • Dash • Earth Gaizer • Drill Crush |
- Other -
|Armor Parts • Parts • Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Zero) • Game Script • List of Enemies|