Rangda Bangda (ランダ・バンダ Randa Banda) is the boss of the second Sigma Stage of Mega Man X and its remake Maverick Hunter X. Its design was based on an ancient mural Sigma once saw in Southeast Asia while still working as a Maverick Hunter. Although it was originally supposed to crush the intruder with its walls, they close only halfway.
It looks like a face in the background wall with moving eyes, a nose gun, and a mouth serving as a pit of spikes. It can also move its side walls inward to try and force X into the spiked pit. In Mega Man X and its remake, the best weapons to use against it are Chameleon Sting and Rolling Shield.
Mega Man X
It has three eyes, each with a different color and attack, that appear one at time from one of the two eye cavities. The blue eye will move straight in the player's direction, the green eye will shoot a single projectile, and the red eye will spread several waves of three projectiles in three directions. When the sides walls move in to try to push the player into its pit of spikes the player's movement, the nose-like core will move around the enclosed area in a zigzag pattern. If the core is destroyed before both eyes, the walls do not move, making it difficult to see the eyes.
- Green Eye (緑の目): Fires a single bullet.
- Red Eye (赤の目): Fires bullets in three directions.
- Blue Eye (青の目): Homes in on the player's position.
- Nose (鼻): Bounces around the room once the walls close in.
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
The fight is similar to that of the original Mega Man X with a few differences: the red eye will only shoot one wave of projectiles, the green eye may sometimes retreat back into its cavity immediately after showing itself without firing and if the core is destroyed before both eyes, the walls will move back slightly, making it easier to see the eyes while being able to stand on the platform. In doing so however in Normal difficulty, both eyes of the same color will attack at the same time. If there is only one eye left it will use a stronger variant of its attacks: the blue eye will move in the player's direction three more times, the red eye sometimes creates two fake duplicates of itself before attacking, and the green eye rapidly fires multiple projectiles.
In Hard difficulty, both eyes will always attack at the same time if they are both alive and one of them will always use their aforementioned stronger variant of their attacks. If the core is destroyed before both eyes, both eyes will always use their stronger attack patterns and different-colored eyes can attack sometimes.
Mega Man X5
This Rangda Bangda, known as Rangda Bangda W (ランダ・バンダW Randa Banda W) is a modification that appears in Mega Man X5, in the second stage of the Zero Space. It is designed with an Egyptian themed look and a remix of the fortress boss music from the original Mega Man X.
It has three eyes, each with a different color and attack, that appear one at time from one of the two eye cavities. The blue eye will move straight in X's direction, the green eye will shoot, and the red eye will spread several projectiles in two directions. When the walls move in to limit the player's movement, a small, miniature sun-like object will follow the player and spikes will appear on the floor, and if it is at low health, on random portions of the wall. It is recommended to use X equipped with the Gaea Armor against it, as the armor's immunity to spikes, ability to cling to walls, and its high damage output nearly trivializes the fight altogether. In addition, Rangda Bangda W has a specific weakness for each of its parts.
- Red Eye (レッドアイ): Spins and shoots streams of fire. Weak to Tri-Thunder/E-Blade.
- Green Eye (グリーンアイ): Shoots a plethora of shots. Weak to Crescent Shot/C-Sword.
- Blue Eye (ブルーアイ): Homes in on the player's position. Weak to Ground Fire/Q-Blazer.
- Sun / Sol Boca (ソルボーカ): Bounces around the room once the walls close in. Weak to Goo Shaver/F-Splasher.
- In Mega Man Zero 4, a similar (though much smaller) robot, named Randam Bandam, appears in the second of the final stages.
- The first part of Rangda Bangda's name is the same as Rangda, a wicked witch of Balinese folklore who represented evil.
- Rangda Bangda's name is mistranslated as "Lamdabamda" in the tracklist for the X1~6 soundtrack release. This mistranslation again appears in the Rockman X Sound Box.
- Rangda Bangda is named "Randa Banda" in Rockman Memories.
- It is possible to use the Hadouken on Rangda Bangda's core in the original and the remake of Mega Man X, however it requires very quick and perfect timing of the charged Shotgun Ice on the walls, and then using the Hadouken on the core before it makes contact with X.
- "Sol Boca" probably means roughly "mouth of the sun" in Spanish.
- Rangda Bangda W's face bears a slight resemblance to Dr. Wily from the classic Megaman series. The W in its name is likely a reference to this.
- In a prerelease prototype version of Mega Man X5, the Rangda Bangda W appears vastly different from the final release counterpart:
- Before battle there is dialogue.
- The eyes have an altered coloration inside instead of a color matching its outside (Blue contains a green iris, Green contains a Blue iris, and Red is a pale shade of red inside).
- The floor spikes are metal and Gaea Armor is not immune to them.
- The default music used during battle is a small Hunter Base intermission theme, despite the actual soundtrack for the boss already existing within the game.
- A glitch may occur where all of the boss's elements (walls, mouth piece, eyes, spikes) become invisible.
|Mega Man X|
|List of Mavericks|
|Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Armored Armadillo • Launch Octopus |
Boomer Kuwanger • Sting Chameleon • Storm Eagle • Flame Mammoth
|Vile • Bospider • Rangda Bangda • D-Rex • Velguarder • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Shotgun Ice • Electric Spark • Rolling Shield • Homing Torpedo |
Boomerang Cutter • Chameleon Sting • Storm Tornado • Fire Wave
|Armor Parts • Mega Man X Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X enemies • Damage Data Chart • Script|
|Mega Man X DiVE|