Can someone try to specify exactly what is meant by "depending on the original version or the translated version of X5, Squid Adler was either a friend or brother to Octopardo/Launch Octopus"? i.e., does it mean that he was a friend in the Japanese version and a brother in the translated English version, or that he was a brother in the Japanese version and a friend in the translated English version? As it is right now, it could mean either one. Weedle McHairybug 21:16, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
- As I recall, in the Japanese version, Volt Kraken is the brother of Launch Octopardo (due to the fact that they are built on the same design...sorta. It's like how Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime are brothers -- they were likely just both produced by the same factory assembly during the same line, which was likely building Reploids for a similar purpose.) However, in America they state more that Volt Kraken simply knew Launch Octopus. It should also be noted that while he is definitely designed after a squid, a kraken is, in fact, a giant octopus, which could also be a reason their brothers and not cousins. It has also been years since I read about this so I no longer recall my sources, however. I just watched a video of the American fight and it doesn't state it, so perhaps the manual states..? -- Somarinoa 21:47, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
- The US manual only mentions that he was Maverick Hunter, but retired and became researcher because he had doubts about organization. The Megaman Network states that they were friends in their article, but they also don't site a source for this information. I wish the developers comments could have been better translated. --Udana 22:11, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
- Squid- Are cephalopods of the order Teuthida, which comprises around 300 species.
- kraken- Are legendary sea monster of giant proportions said to have dwelt off the coasts of Norway and Iceland.
Has it been verified somewhere that "Octopardo" is not just an affectionate term that Squid Adler uses? I don't think it's correct to just presume it's a mistranslation unless someone from Capcom verified that fact. MP36PH3S (talk) 01:59, November 8, 2014 (UTC)MP36
- It is X who says the name, not Squid Adler, and he says オクトパルド (Okutoparudo, "Octopuld") in the Japanese version. --Quick (u•t) 14:35, November 10, 2014 (UTC)