- "I've already been infected... Shall we fight for old time's sake?"
- ―Tidal Whale, Mega Man X5
Tidal Whale, known as Tidal Makkoeen (タイダル・マッコイーン Taidaru Makkoīn) in Japan, also known as Duff McWhalen, is a whale-based Reploid from Mega Man X5. He held some jurisdiction over the North Atlantic Ocean, which the Maverick Hunters required to produce hydrogen for the Enigma laser cannon.
Tidal Whale is a Reploid who has a design meant to resemble a whale. He has the large forehead of a sperm whale, but also has coloration and lines across his neck indicative of a blue whale. He also possesses a tail, blowhole, and dorsal fin, common traits across all kinds of whales. His eyes are located on either side of his mouth.
Tidal Whale was the curator of an oceanographic museum and held rank as the captain of a maritime security force. Having a high sense of responsibility, he had the tendency to blunder into dangerous situations without a second thought, and this reckless behavior often earned him arguments with the Repliforce's navy. Whale became acquainted with the famous Maverick Hunter Zero during his duties as a security captain. He was already infected by the Sigma Virus when the Maverick Hunters arrived, and as a final request asks for a fight to the death. They accept, and terminate him in battle, giving the Reploid who loved the sea an end in the sea.
Whale stays on the right side of the screen and shoots out blocks of ice. The C-Shot and C-Sword will cut through these and also damage Tidal Whale, as they are his weaknesses. When enough of his energy is depleted, he will swim to the left side and fire ice blocks in rapid succession, trying to push X/Zero into the spiked wall on the right side.
Powers and abilities
Note that attack names are not official.
- "Ice Block" - Tidal Whale will fire Ice Blocks from his mouth which will then turn into a small obstacle course if he didn't receive enough damage.
- "Tidal Missile" - Tidal Whale fires missiles which home at the player.
- "Goo Shaver" - Tidal Whale fires Goo Shaver projectiles from his blowhole which travel across the floor.
- "Ice Block Burst" - Tidal Whale fires fast-moving Ice Blocks, aimed at the player, to push them towards the wall of spikes on the room. Only used after he lost 75% of his health.
When playing as X
Tidal Whale: Oh... Welcome, Captain X. X: I'd like you to let us use this ocean since it's nearest to the Hunter Base. We need to produce large amounts of hydrogen. Tidal Whale: Do you intend it for nuclear fusion? So, then you are going to use the good-old Enigma. X: Y...yes... If you know that, then please cooperate with us. Tidal Whale: X, I'm a man of the sea... ... And I will not allow you to use my sea freely... You might think I'm stupid, but you'll have to fight me! X: I understand. I accept your challenge!!
Tidal Whale: The sea is... The sea is already dead... X... I'm a man of the sea... I want to share the same destiny as the ocean... I've already been infected by the virus, too... Do a favor for me... Fight me and let me rest in the ocean... ...in peace...
When playing as Zero
Tidal Whale: Zero... Long time no see... Zero: I'm here to secure the ocean nearest the Hunter Base. It has run high... Tidal Whale: The Enigma requires a large amount of hydrogen... so you must want the ocean in order to produce hydrogen... Zero: Precisely. Please cooperate. Tidal Whale: I've already been infected... Shall we fight for old time's sake? A duel! And I'll show no mercy! Zero: Your ship is about to set sail... ...for the last time!
Tidal Whale: Zero... It's been a long time... But you are later than I expected. Tell me what's been happening on land. Zero: ............ Tidal Whale: The world is facing extinction, right? Since I've also been infected with the Virus, why don't you fight me once before you die? A battle between two men! ...Expect no mercy! Zero: Fine... May you rest in peace... ...in the sea.
Rockman X5 manhua
Tidal Whale featured in the Mega Man series from Archie Comics during the Worlds Unite crossover with the Sonic the Hedgehog comics. However, in this version he goes by his Japanese name Tidal Makkoeen, and is a duplicate of the original created by Sigma using the Genesis Portals and Unity Engines. Tidal Whale would later be seen in the world of Skies of Arcadia, facing against the Blue Rogues where it would be eventually destroyed by the combined efforts of the team.
He is also one of a handful of Mavericks to appear on a variant cover, where he is shown being shot at by E-123 Omega.
This is a boss that got vetoed for X4. He got nixed because it was difficult to personify a whale. If he wasn't humaniform to some extent, he wouldn't look boss-like. I actually wanted to make him about as big as Kibatodos, but he ended up rather compact.
No matter how you tinker with a whale, it still looks like a whale, so I finished this one up comparatively easily. It's a bit of a shock, though, that even though he's a whale, he's smaller than a walrus (Kibatodos). While this guy was being developed, he got impossibly strong when his power dropped, making me feel like crying.
- Tidal Whale's stage music is a remastered version of Bubble Crab's from Mega Man X2; however, he had an original theme before it was scrapped.
- In the original American release, Tidal Whale was renamed as Duff McWhalen after Duff McKagan, the bassist of the rock band Guns N' Roses.
- Because of this, he was mentioned in an article from Nintendo Power volume 266, as the editor said that his name is "one of the worst Mega Man boss names ever."
- He is the only boss in Mega Man X5 whose mugshot is not facing straight forward, due to the fact his eyes can only be seen from the side.
- In the Worlds Unite crossover, writer Ian Flynn had intended to use the alternate English name Tidal Whale instead of Duff McWhalen, but the change wasn't made in time and he was featured as Tidal Makkoeen instead.
- His Japanese name "Makkoeen" is derived from "makkō kujira", Japanese for sperm whale.
- Mega Man X Official Complete Works, UDON Entertainment Corp. 2009. pg.51. Retrieved on March 30, 2012.
- Mega Man X5 PlayStation release and Mega Man X Collection
- Rockman Elysium: Production notes about the cast of X5
- Capcom Community: X5 Developer/Designer Note translations
- Protodude's Rockman Corner: Alyson Court Talks Mega Man X5 Guns N' Roses References
|Mega Man X5|
|List of Mavericks|
|Crescent Grizzly (Grizzly Slash) • Tidal Whale (Duff McWhalen) • Volt Kraken (Squid Adler) • Shining Firefly (Izzy Glow)|
Dark Necrobat (Dark Dizzy) • Spiral Pegasus (The Skiver) • Burn Dinorex (Mattrex) • Spike Rosered (Axle the Red)
|Sigma Head • Magma Dragoon • Dynamo • Shadow Devil • Rangda Bangda W • Zero • X • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Crescent Shot • Goo Shaver • Tri-Thunder • Flash Laser • Dark Hold • Wing Spiral • Ground Fire • Spike Ball|
|Zero's Special Techniques|
|C-Sword • F-Splasher • E-Blade • C-Flasher • Dark Hold • W-Shredder • Quake Blazer • Twin Dream|
|- Mega Man X -|
Fourth Armor • Falcon Armor • Gaea Armor • Ultimate Armor
- Zero -
|Hunter Base • Zero Space|
|Walkthrough • Parts • List of Enemies • Eurasia • Enigma • Space Shuttle|
Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Zero) • Game Script (X's story) • Game Script (Zero's story)