VAN Pookin (VAN・プーキン VAN Pūkin) is the sub boss of Shade Man's stage in Mega Man 7, and a boss in Mega Man: The Power Battle. It is three separate jack-o'-lantern robots, one inside each other. It jumps around, trying to jump on Mega Man. The mini pumpkin fires green shots, and it can fly into the air and shoot many green shots. It is weak to Thunder Bolt. It can reveal a different path depending on whether it was defeated by shooting either its large eyes, which reveals the right passage, or the mini pumpkin inside it, which reveals the lower passage. The lower passage leads to Proto Man, and the right passage to the Energy Equalizer.
Damage Data Chart
Mega Man 7
Displays the approximate amount of damage in units that VAN Pookin will receive from each Special Weapon in Mega Man 7.
|Mega Man 7|
|Mega Buster||Freeze Cracker||Junk Shield||Danger Wrap||Thunder Bolt||Wild Coil||Slash Claw||Noise Crush||Scorch Wheel||Super Adaptor|
- *For Mega Buster, Wild Coil and Noise Crush, the first number is the damage done when the weapon is fired normally; the second number is damage done when the weapon is charged up.
- *For Freeze Cracker, the first number is when the shot is whole; the second number is after it splits
- VAN Pookin is a play on pumpkin (パンプキン panpukin), and possibly spooky (スプーキー supūkī).
- In the prototype build of Mega Man 7, a hovering humanoid robot that looks just like the broken ones found in the beginning of Shade Man's stage appears as the mid-boss of Shade Man's stage. sprites,
- An early sprite of VAN Pookin can also be found in the prototype's data, which suggests that VAN Pookin was planned to appear all along, and that this particular mid-boss was simply a placeholder while the staff worked on VAN Pookin's animation frames. This makes sense as the humanoid robot does not fit with the rest of the level's horror theme.
- A giant VAN Pookin toy appears in Clown Man's stage in Mega Man 8.
|Mega Man: The Power Battle|
|Mega Man • Proto Man • Bass|
|- Mega Man 1~2 -|
Cut Man • Guts Man • Ice Man • Crash Man • Heat Man • Wood Man
- Mega Man 3~6 -
Magnet Man • Gemini Man • Dust Man • Gyro Man • Napalm Man • Plant Man
- Mega Man 7 -
Freeze Man • Junk Man • Cloud Man • Slash Man • Shade Man • Turbo Man
- Dr. Wily -
|Rolling Cutter • Super Arm • Ice Slasher • Crash Bomber • Atomic Fire • Leaf Shield|
Magnet Missile • Gemini Laser • Dust Crusher • Gyro Attack • Napalm Bomb • Plant Barrier
Freeze Cracker • Junk Shield • Thunder Strike • Slash Claw • Noise Crush • Scorch Wheel
|Damage Data Chart • Script|