Wire Sponge, known in Japan as Wire Hetimarl (ワイヤー・ヘチマール), is a sponge plant-type Maverick from Mega Man X2. Created in one of Sigma's Maverick producing factories, an accident resulted in him having a personality disorder; which causes him to be childish and easily amused. Yet, he still had impressive combat abilities and was placed in charge of the Weather Control Station, were he found delight in passing the time playing with the weather system.
Wire Sponge uses his Strike Chain like a whip and grappling hook. One of his attacks is to latch his chain on to the ceiling and spit vine growing seeds in X's direction while gradually pulling himself up; these vines can be destroyed by two normal shots. He will also spin his chain in front of him as a form of defense (which only Sonic Slicer can cancel) and throw it horizontally (if it catches a far wall he will pull himself in that direction). When Sponge's health is less than half he will become enraged and electrified, causing lighting to cast at random in the room for a brief moment; he is also invulnerable in this state. Wire Sponge is easily fought with just the X-Buster firing charged shots, but if the final blow is dealt with the Sonic Slicer, he will be split in half. He is also vulnerable to the Speed Burner.
Mega Man X2 stats
- Height: 188 cm (6 ft)
- Weight: 96 kg (212 lb)
- Power: 6400rp
- Speed: 4800rp
- Weather Control Center stage (気象コントロールセンターステージ), from the Mega Man X2 stage select screen, Rockman X2: Soul Eraser and Compendium of Rockman X. Sometimes reduced to "Weather Control stage" and "Weather stage" in some sources.
Enemies in Wire Sponge's stages:
- Aclanda (not present in Mega Man Xtreme 2)
- Croak Hopper
- Sky Farmer
- Sole Solar
- Weather Crystal
- While Wire Sponge is named after a sponge (technically an animal), he is modeled after the luffa, a vine plant that produces a cucumber like vegetable that is dried and sold to be used as a cleaning sponge.
- Although Wire Sponge is not an electric-type Maverick, Zero learns an electric-type attack from him (appropriately named "Lightning") in Mega Man Xtreme 2. This is most likely based on the lightning attack Wire Sponge uses after being reduced to critical health in Mega Man X2.
- Wire Sponge's death animation with the Sonic Slicer is somewhat a precursor to the death animations of enemies in the Mega Man Zero series when killed with the Z-Saber.
- Oddly, in Mega Man Xtreme 2, hitting Wire Sponge on the final blow with his weakness, the Fire Wave, will cause him to split in half, much like a Sonic Slicer would from Mega Man X2.
- In Mega Man ZX Advent, in the base of the Tower of Verdure, where the player fights Rospark the Floroid, one part of the tree looks like Wire Sponge. 
- Wire Sponge is the first main Maverick boss in the series not to be based on an animal. Interestingly, he and every other non-animal Maverick in the series do not have an apparent mouth.
- Wire Sponge has the distinction of being the only maverick to survive his battle with X in the Rockman X2 manga, being repaired by Dr. Cain immediately following his defeat.
|Mega Man X2|
|List of Mavericks|
|Overdrive Ostrich • Wire Sponge • Wheel Gator • Bubble Crab • Flame Stag • Morph Moth • Magna Centipede • Crystal Snail|
|Gigantic Mechaniloid CF-0 • Violen • Serges • Agile • Zero • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
| Sonic Slicer • Strike Chain • Spin Wheel • Bubble Splash • Speed Burner • Silk Shot • Magnet Mine • Crystal Hunter |
- Other -
Giga Crush • Shoryuken
|Armor Parts • Damage Data Chart • Mega Man X2 Script|