- "There are countless Mavericks who've suffered defeat at your hands. Now, somehow they've reappeared and are causing havoc! Prepare yourself, X!"
- ―X Challenge, Mega Man X Legacy Collection
X Challenge is a mode exclusive to the Mega Man X Legacy Collection and Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 which allows the player to simultaneously fight two bosses from the SNES and/or PS1 Mega Man X games (X1-X6) using X in three consecutive battles. Volume 1 is part of Mega Man X Legacy Collection and Volume 2 is part of Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2. The final match for each of these stages is version-exclusive.
In addition, the mode contain an exclusive armor (a variation of the Ultimate Armor) which players have option of using X with or without it equipped. Each challenge will have 9 possible special weapons from the six X titles which players will be able to choose between 3 of them. They cannot be swapped until all three challenges are completed. X will also have use of Zero's Z-Saber much like in X6. By not selecting any special weapons before a challenge, a Buster-only mode is activated where X only has use of his X Buster (with the Z-Saber as a sub-weapon). In addition, this mode will also remove most of the armor, excluding the Foot Parts, leaving X with just the Air Dash and Hover abilities.
Much like with the Challenges from Mega Man Legacy Collection and Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, each challenge has a clock system and a leaderboard system for players to compete by completing the challenges as quick as possible and within the time limit which is 10 minutes.
Unlike with the earlier Legacy Collections however, players only have a limited amount of lives and start with 2 extra lives in reserve when beginning the challenge, and cannot be restored to full health between challenges (except on Easy Mode). In addition, weapon energy cannot be restored as well.
In Hard Mode only, completing 9-3 will access level 9-4, a secret boss-themed level consisting of both Ultimate Armor X and Awakened Zero. While the player will face this hidden level starting off at 100% with all lives, energy and weapon energy restored, unlike a normal challenge, instead of getting a Game Over if the player is defeated, the game will instead skip to the credits.
List of Challenges
|1-1||Arctic Antics||Chill Penguin and Frost Walrus||Strike Chain|
|Walrus and Penguin have joined forces to overload an experimental reactor at the North Pole and plunge the Earth into an eternal winter! Stop them, X!|
|1-2||Oil and Water||Wheel Gator and Bubble Crab|
|Gator's walking fortress has come back online...and he's got backup! Stop them before they can wreak any more havoc on the city... We're counting on you, X!|
|Underground Fight Club||Slash Beast and Crescent Grizzly|
|A pair of Mavericks are challenging you to a two-on-one deathmatch, buster against...claw? Be careful X, it looks like these two bear a grudge!|
|Tangled Webs||Web Spider and Wire Sponge|
|X, our Hunters are getting immobilized and annihilated out there...whatever's lurking in that jungle, try not to get trapped! Keep your eyes open!|
|2-1||Boom and Zoom||Storm Eagle and Storm Owl||Shotgun Ice|
|The Death Rogumer II has been hijacked by a pair of high-flying Mavericks...and they've turned its weapons on the city! Stop them before they attack, X!|
|2-2||Jungle Dogfight||Spiral Pegasus and Neon Tiger|
|X, look out! Neon Tiger's signal was some kind of trick... We've just picked up Spiral Pegasus at high altitude, waiting to ambush you! Keep one eye on the sky!|
|Undersea Lockdown||Volt Kraken and Shield Sheldon|
|A breakout is in progress at the undersea maximum-security prison at Point E131! Break through Sheldon's defenses and stop Kraken from hacking doors!|
|Fly Trap||Spike Rosered and Commander Yammark|
|Our remote sensor station is picking up weird movement in the jungle near the solar energy complex. The signal keeps vanishing into the foliage...any ideas?|
|3-1||High-Voltage Heist||Spark Mandrill and Bubble Crab||Yammar Option|
|Mandrill and Crab have infiltrated the old power station to salvage its inverter matrix for sale on the black market! This powered-up theft must be stopped!|
|3-2||Glitch in the System||Cyber Peacock and Tunnel Rhino|
|Tunnel Rhino takes such pride in his drilling skills that he's even trying his hand at data mining! Stop him and his accomplice before they steal any data!|
|Dopple Gangup||Dr. Doppler and Godkarmachine O Inary|
|X, it's time for a virtual training session. What would have happened if you'd faced Dr. Doppler AND his most fearsome creation at the same time?|
|Force Multipliers||Vile MK-2 and High Max|
|The resurrected and the undying...X, this duo of deadly Mavericks could take out any of our Hunters single handed. Can you really fight them both at once?|
|4-1||Way of the Warrior||Magma Dragoon and Neon Tiger||Chameleon Sting|
|X, what do you make of this mystery message we just received? "Dragon and tiger stand as one. Face your doom in the mountain's heart."|
|4-2||Garden Variety||Spike Rosered and Wire Sponge|
|The deep jungle reclamation center was a promising project...but now it's been swallowed up by deadly mechanical vines! Get to the bottomm of this crisis, X!|
|Storm Warning||Storm Eagle and Toxic Seahorse|
|Sudden whirlwinds and torrents of acid rain have assaulted the shipyard where our new fleet is being built! This high-level sabotage can onle mean...Mavericks!|
|Warning Lights||Shining Firefly and Armored Armadillo|
|The massive Mechaniloid forge-works on the city outskirts is being systematically wrecked by a pair of Mavericks...X, they must be stopped before the reactor blows!|
|5-1||Light and Shadow||Spiral Pegasus and Dark Necrobat||Flash Laser|
|Two winged Mavericks have challenged each other to a duel high above the city, and the fallout from their fighting is threatening the people below! Stop them!|
|5-2||Gestation Operation||Morph Moth and Blizzard Wolfang|
|Morph Moth has hired a bodyguard to keep him safe while he matures in his cocoon. Are we already too late to stop him!? There's no time to waste!|
|Naval Engagement||Tidal Whale and Jet Stingray|
|Whale and Stingray have been busting through our blockade to deliver supplies to their Maverick allies. But this time, they'll find you there waiting for them!|
|Splash Damage||Toxic Seahorse and Blast Hornet|
|The hangar housing our autonomous helicopter squadrons has been sabotaged! The Mavericks responsible are still in the facility...don't let them escape, X!|
|6-1||Aerial Bombardment||Blaze Heatnix and Blast Hornet||Ground Dash|
|Blast Hornet is carpeting our mountain facilities in a barrage of bombs...but it's just a cover for Blaze Heatnix to close in for an attack! Stop them, X!|
|6-2||Of Ice and Fire||Blizzard Wolfang and Burn Dinorex|
|Once bitter rivals, Wolfang and Dinorex have joined forces to ambush you with a tricky mix of elemental attacks! Melt and quench this perplexing partnership!|
|Soldiers' Pride||Colonel and General|
|Why, when we fought for peace, did everything end in war? It's too late now; a soldier's pride will not allow surrender. Answer their challenge, X!|
|System Corrupted||Zero Nightmare and Psycho Sigma|
(Sigma's first form in Mega Man X5)
|The catastrophic aftermath of Sigma's madness is so extensive that the root cause may never be determined. All we can do is protect the present. Fight, X!|
|7-1||Shield Tactics||Armored Armadillo and Rainy Turtloid||Yammar Option|
|The distress call from the abandoned shrine was a Maverick ploy! X, you're outnumbered and your enemies are shielded. Still...we believe in you!|
|7-2||Aurora Bot-realis||Neon Tiger and Chill Penguin|
|X, watch out! We've isolated the cause of that weird light show over the Arctic base--it's Neon Tiger and Chill Penguin, signaling aerial units! Shut them down!|
|Infinity Paradox||Split Mushroom and Infinity Mijinion|
|X, we're getting conflicting reports on enemy numbers in that weapons factory. Some are saying two Mavericks, others two dozen. Find out what's going on!|
|Buster Alley||Ground Scaravich and Shield Sheldon|
|You may be pinned down by these two Mavericks, but try not to get bowied over! Strike through their defenses and victory will be yours...with time to spare!|
|8-1||Temperature Critical||Spiral Pegasus and Blaze Heatnix||Dark Hold|
|Emergency! We've discovered a tunnel being used to channel magma energy...right under Hunter HQ! You have to stop the Mavericks before we're all toast!|
|8-2||Frostbite||Dark Necrobat and Blizzard Wolfang|
|We have a hostage situation. Two vicious Mavericks are threatening to use their fangs on some innocent reploids unless you come alone to a duel. Good luck, X!|
|Operation Buzzkill||Morph Moth and Commander Yammark|
|Morph Moth is saturating the reploid habitat at Point G-117 with viral sponges, and Yammark is shooting down anything that approaches! Take then down, X!|
|Deep Trouble||Metal Shark Player and Tidal Whale|
|The seafront space center is being battered by tidal whaves, preventing any shuttles from launching! Defeat the Mavericks causing this maritime mess, X!|
|9-1||Power Saw||Rainy Turtloid and Spark Mandrill||Meteor Rain|
|X, do you read? They've got you trapped in an enclosed space. You'll have to fight your way out somehow... Just remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall!|
|9-2||Sharks and Jets||Storm Eagle and Metal Shark Player|
|Well done X, you've infiltrated the junk facility where we believe the satellite laser is being built. Wait... X, there are two Mavericks incoming at high speed!|
|Heartbreak and Betrayal||Iris and Double|
|The war has been cruel, full of loss and tragedy. Friends have betrayed us, and sometimes it seems hard to go on. But we can't quit until there's peace. Fight, X!|
|Dynamic Duo||Dynamo and Gate|
|Genius and madness have joined forces. Each claims to seek perfection: one on the battlefield, the other in the field of science. Show them what perfect means, X!|
|The Final Battle||Ultimate Armor X and Awakened Zero|
|X and Zero have been the downfall of legions of ultra-powerful Mavericks. Now discover what It's like to be on the receiving end of the ultimate team-up!|
Though fighting these three Consecutive battles is tough and that X will only have three special weapons, the trick is to figure out which of the two bosses is the larger threat and just focus on using their weakness against them, while attacking the other one with X Buster since the Plasma Ball can help deal with inflicting minor damage and destroying minor obstacles. The Z-Saber, while effective against Zero Nightmare, should only be reserved for dealing with quick damage and minor obstacles. Occasionally special weapons may help against other bosses, such as Gravity Well against the Blaze Heatnix/Blast Hornet challenge.
Also, if X's health is high enough after completing a challenge, it is possible to complete another challenge to help conserve remaining lives, otherwise just waste the rest of X's life energy if his health is too low to avoid wasting weapon energy.
To get the achievement/trophy Speed of Light from Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 which requires the challenge to be completed in less than a minute, a great method is to go to Shield Tactics - Stage 7-1, Armored Armadillo and Rainy Turtloid's stage - and bring their weaknesses, Ice Burst and Electric Spark. Electrick Spark's charged form can not only dispose of Armadillo quickly, but it also easily destroys the gems in Turtloid's shell, making him much more vulnerable to Ice Burst.
Changes in X Challenge
There are some differences in X Challenge, which was due to a number of factors that were changed (stage factors, weapon usage, boss attacks etc.) when compared to their original release. Some of these changes were made due to the SNES bosses mixed in with the PS1 bosses/gameplay features or to level the playing field for X Challenge to make it simple to avoid gaining too much of an advantage over the bosses. These changes includes:
- In Stage 9-1 (Power Saw - Spark Mandrill and Rainy Turtloid's stage) the battle room is larger than normal. This is to account for the extra room needed to avoid Turtloid's attacks.
- Zero Nightmare is slightly altered in X Challenge mode (Normal and Hard); (1) he always has the Thousand Shots attack available regardless of his health. (2) He will use the level 4 variation of Gemurei Kai slashes which he shoots 4 slashes instead of 3, a locked feature in the original game that can only be seen via external cheats/game data modifiers. (3) He has additional laugh voice clips (recycled from intro laugh voice) during ground dash. (4) He can be stunned by jump saber slashes in his initial/dash stance while he can only be stunned by ground slash in the original game.
- Damage output of several attacks including Sigma's electric spheres, Zero Nightmare's dash contact/Saber slash is modified to be abnormally high (one direct hit of saber slash removes about 1/6 of X's health bar in Hard) - presumably a development oversight.
- Speed Burner and Strike Chain are nowhere as effective as in original game mobility-wise; because the action system of X is similar to his X6 incarnation and X will not retain increased speed after performing air dashes.
- The sphere generated by Plasma charged shot is able to damage X5 and X6 bosses but this change makes the main part of charged shot harder to directly hit bosses, in most cases the weaker damage of Plasma sphere will land on bosses first and they won't take damage from the main part of charged shot.
- The boss invincibility system is changed; bosses will deflect uncharged X buster pellet during invincibility, this makes the rapid uncharged shot strategy against several X1-X3 bosses (especially Neon Tiger) harder to execute and less effective because X can't shoot more than 3 pellets in a row and can't fire new shots until deflected uncharged shots leave the screen.
- The Strike Chain lock up strategy against Wheel Gator from the original game is not possible here due to the changed invincibility system.
- In Web Spider's arena, the moment X is allowed to move is later than in the original game; this is probably done in order to avoid the situation which Web Spider being glitched by taking charged Twin Slasher before the fight actually starts.
- Using charged Strike Chain as finish blow on a particular boss is the only method of gaining life recovery item in Normal and Hard difficulty, but this method is not very effective - because there are only 3 special weapon slots and not every stage has Strike Chain available.
- Unlike the original game, charged Gravity Well can be charged again right after releasing, render this weapon much more powerful and effective than in original game which can almost permanently lock up bosses weak against it.
- Charged Ray Arrow and Charged F-Laser are given a much higher ammo consumption than in the original game, render these weapons useless in most scenarios.
- Charged Chameleon Sting is also given a much higher ammo consumption than in original but X can now shoot uncharged X Buster pellets during the invincibility intact, which is useful to chip damage bosses in Dynamo/Gate scenario and Special Battle.
- Ammo consumption of charged Ground Dash is also higher than original; it's useful to quicker dispatch Blaze Heatnix but the weapon ammo is not enough to completely lock him up in hard mode.
- It's more difficult to avoid bullet attacks of SNES bosses like Neon Tiger's ground Ray Splasher and Vile's paralyze sparks because the PS1 incarnations of X's hitbox is far bigger than his SNES incarnations.
- Chill Penguin's blizzard generator now has wind physics and will push X back, like with Storm Eagle's attacks.
- Metal Shark Player can perform all his available summon variations in hard difficulty.
- When facing Vile MK-2 and High Max on stage 3-3 in a buster-only challenge (Volume 2 only), the Z-Saber will be given a Purple color so X can use it to attack High Max after he is stunned due to the lack of special weapons. In a regular match it would retain its standard green appearance.
- Awakened Zero's Instant Death move Genmurei has been removed.
- Every third stage in X Challenge is different between the two volumes of Mega Man X Legacy Collection.
- In addition, the bosses of every ninth stage are found outside of the standard eight levels of the games in which they appear.
- This is the only gameplay feature where X can fight against Iris, a Zero-exclusive boss from Mega Man X4.
- Oddly, Iris still says, "Forgive me, Zero!" before her battle, despite the fact that she isn't fighting Zero. This is most likely an oversight by the developers.
- This is also the only gameplay feature where X fights another version of himself.
- Twelve Mavericks from the first three Mega Man X games do not appear in this mode. Those Mavericks are Launch Octopus, Boomer Kuwanger, Sting Chameleon, Flame Mammoth, Overdrive Ostrich, Flame Stag, Crystal Snail, Magna Centipede, Volt Catfish, Crush Crawfish, Gravity Beetle, and Blizzard Buffalo.
- Coincidentally, these are half of the Mavericks from each game.
- Sting Chameleon and Magna Centipede did appear in this mode but as copies summoned by Metal Shark Player.
- In both iterations of stage 9-3, after defeating one particular boss, another character appears briefly and uses an attack. They will disappear each time they finish their attack.
- In Volume 1, if Double is defeated first, Colonel appears to help Iris with any of his attacks.
- In Volume 2, if Dynamo is defeated first, he'll later appear on the right side of the level to support Gate with his Earth Gaizer Kai attack.
- Stage 9-4 has a somewhat similar gimmick that depends on which character was defeated first. If Ultimate Armor X is defeated first, Awakened Zero will turn into Black Zero and gain many new attacks (most of which are based on Zero's special techniques seen in X4, X5, and X6). If Awakened Zero is defeated first, Ultimate Armor X will start using new attacks based on special weapons from X6, including Yammar Option and the charged versions of Ray Arrow and Guard Shell
- The Stage 4-1 description is a reference of SNK's Art of Fighting games, a rival series of Capcom's Street Fighter series.
- The X Challenge game over/failed theme is a remix of Street Fighter 2 game over jingle.
- During the Ultimate Armor X and Awakened Zero challenge on stage 9-4, X can also switch between the Fourth Armor, Falcon Armor, and Shadow Armor to perform different attacks before reverting back to the Ultimate Armor.
- Gate has a special intro voice clip lifted from the voiced dialogue sequence of X6 which he praises X's ability of defeating his star creations and reaching his secret lab in the original game. Player must switch the game language to Japanese in order to activate the special voice clip (Otherwise Gate will remain silent during boss intro as well as most of his actions).